Monday, March 12, 2012

Along Came a Cider

Little Miss Claire
Sat on her bar chair
Eating her fish and chips.
Along came the bartender
A cider he sent her
And she liked what hit her lips!

Okay, so it's more of an adult nursery rhyme but it sums up cider in my books.

I began drinking cider when I was living in Ireland, because Bulmers was always on tap in bars. Everywhere else in the world, the company calls their cider Magners. But do not be fooled, Bulmers and Magners are the same Irish company, I guess they just wanted Ireland to have something unique. They look the same, they taste the same (although I do find Bulmers a little better, but I think that is a mind over matter thing), the label is even the same.

Cider is a delicious alternative for beer, but still in the same family. Maybe cider is beer's cousin, or step-sister or something along those lines. It is an apple-base so it doesn't taste like beer, but is fruity instead.

Cider comes in other flavours beside original, which is usually apple, including pear and berry. I'm sure you could find others, but those three are the most common. With the different flavours, especially berry I've found, you lose even more of the similarities to beer.

Another plus to this drink is that it is not nearly as heavy or filling as beer is, which I think makes it a bit more refreshing as well.

Overall, ordering a cider is a way to fit in with the beer crowd and not have to drink a beer that you don't like! So next time you're at a bar and you see Magners on tap, give it a try to see if it is your ticket in to beer world.

Slainte,
The Lager Lady


7 comments:

  1. I do love Cider; it's a great, slightly lighter alternative to beer. My usual poison of choice when it comes to cider is Strongbow, though that may just be due to its ubiquity. I once had a pear cider which was just delightful, but I regretfully forget the name of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strongbow does the trick, but is not my favourite.
      I love pear ciders as well - Kopparberg does a nice one!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know there's an alternative to beer. There's no alcohol in Cider?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is alcohol in this brand of cider. I haven't checked to see if there is non-alcoholic cider, but I'm sure it's out there! I have heard of non-alcoholic beer before, so perhaps that's another avenue for me to explore!

      Delete
  3. Cider is amazing ! I love drinking Black & Tans down at The Angel Inn in NOTL. And I always order strong bows when I'm out! Probably doesn't compare to fantastic irish cider though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I am a fan of beer, i do enjoy the occasional cider. It is usually my drink of choice at Merchant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cider! Seriously, fell in love with it about a year ago and have been drinking it ever since. This companies worth checking out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete